You are here
From Our Journals
ORNITHOLOGY BLOG PICK:
All About Birds
AOS Membership Benefits
The American Ornithological Society is committed to advancing the scientific understanding and conservation of birds and to enriching ornithology as a profession. As an inclusive, international society, AOS connects you to an extensive network of thousands of dedicated scientists studying birds from academia, government, nonprofit organizations, and with other individuals working across borders and disciplines. By joining AOS, you will receive the following membership benefits. If you are not already a member, join now!
Online access to cutting edge ornithological research
- Unlimited online access to The Auk: Ornithological Advances, one of the most highly-cited ornithological journals in the world. This international, peer-reviewed journal publishes original research and scholarship advancing the fundamental scientific knowledge of bird species.
- Unlimited online access to The Condor: Ornithological Applications, an international, peer-reviewed journal that publishes original research, syntheses, and assessments on the application of scientific theory and methods to the conservation, management, and ecology of birds.
AOS members also receive open access to other publications, including:
- Checklist of North and Middle American Birds and Checklist of South American Birds, official sources for the taxonomy of birds in the Western Hemisphere
- Birds of North America, the most comprehensive and authoritative resource available on the biology of North American birds
- Over 130 years of The Auk and The Condor, as well as historic journals of other North American ornithological societies, via the Searchable Ornithological Research Archive (SORA)
- All issues of Ornithological Monographs
Prestigious award opportunities
- Recognition by the AOS of Senior Professional, Publications, and Service awards to members for their outstanding professional achievements
- Eligibility for student and postdoctoral research awards to advance the scholarship of its younger members
- Eligibility for student and postdoctoral travel awards to encourage students and postdocs to attend annual meetings, present their research, and network with other ornithologists at all career stages
- Eligibility for student presentation awards that recognize outstanding oral and poster presentations given by students at annual meetings
- Eligibility for Early Professional Awards that recognize outstanding scientific contributions by early-career ornithologists
- Workshops at annual meetings on topics such as career preparation and advancement, new research techniques, and proposal and grant writing
- Facilitated networking socials and round tables that bringing together students, young professionals, and practicing ornithologists
- Eligibility for AOS Special Membership Classes
Connected Community of Ornithologists
- Discounted registration rates to attend annual scientific meetings that highlight the latest advances in ornithology across a wide spectrum of disciplines and provide opportunities for networking and career development
- Access to ornithological news and announcements, job and volunteer opportunities, and a directory of members.
- Support from the Ornithological Council, a consortium of twelve scientific societies that provides important services to ornithologists
- Access to Ornithology Exchange, an online community of ornithologists